Homemade kulfi for the win! - Narcissism is Necessary

Homemade kulfi for the win!

I’ve blogged about my obsession with kulfi and vowed to make some to fulfill my insatiable appetite for it and yes, I’ve done it! It’s crazy easy! Looks like I’m not going to buy ice cream for a while now…

I know I’ve been blogging about food a lot these days. I’m not apologising for this. Well, I’m not a spring chicken anymore and most times I don’t even enjoy attending events or meeting new people that much nowadays. I’m in a phase where I just want to cook a lot and fatten my friends and loved ones up. I’m turning into a domestic old woman and boy, aren’t I a smug one too…

I’ve been cooking almost everyday and I’m loving it. For the first time in my life I don’t care that the skin on my hands are pruning up and shit from constant contact with water. Though I’ve bought some high potency vitamin E cream to soothe my conscience for the rare times it hit me that my hands look like they belong to a manual labourer’s.

Anyway…here’s how you make kulfi. All you need is milk!

Kidding, you need all-spice powder, one teabag and sugar too.

# – Boil 5 cups of milk!

# – Prepare 5 teapoons of sugar (can lessen sugar if you don’t have sweet tooth) and 5 teaspoon of all-spice powder. Mix it up!

# – Chuck sugar and all-spice mixture into boiling milk.

# – Tear open a teabag (I used masala tea) and pour the content into the boiling milk mixture. You can add some nuts or raisins too at this point.

# – Simmer till the concoction reduces from 5 to 2 cups. Took me about 30 or 35 minutes. STIR CONSTANTLY! Becareful when you’re doing this because it might boil over. I’m speaking from experience…was a bitch to clean up my stove.

# – Pour the mixture into bowls lined with clingwrap and stick them into the freezer. If you have cute bowls like ramekin you can use those too or even smaller cups. My bowls were honestly a bit too big for such a rich dessert (but I’m not complaining).

# – Best to leave them in the freezer overnight but mine were good to eat about 6 hours later. This is how it looked like after 6 hours.

# – Pop it back into the bowl and peel off the clingwrap.

# – The look reminds me of some rotten tofu I saw in a documentary :D

# – Dig into the creamiest, densest ice cream you’ve ever tasted!

Instead of all-spice you can try flavouring the kulfi with other things like pistachio powder, chocolate, rose water, vanilla and etc. The sky’s the limit!

, , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Homemade kulfi for the win!

1. fresh January 18, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

omggg does it taste as awesome as it looks!!!

2. imantulen January 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

It’s called punjabi ice-cream

3. ShaolinTiger January 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

It tastes more awesome! Portion was a little big for me tho…but that’s probably cos we just ate a whole roast chicken between the two of us LOL

4. mela January 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm #

Gosh! That looks unbelievably yummy! I shall try it the next time I have guests!!

5. ronin January 18, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

Can you tell me where to purchase all-spice powder? Also, can normal teabags from Lipton replace the masala tea? I would like to prepare kulfi for my kids this weekend. Thanks

• Kimberlycun January 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

fresh: it’s better!!! wahhahaha

imantulen: yakah??

st: :P

mela: thanks! and good luck :D

ronin: can buy from a supermarket under baking section. honestly, if you’re making for kids you don’t need to use tea leaves. personally i put them in to balance out the sweetness a bit for myself. you can also try other ways of flavouring..milo or horlicks for instance :D just taste as you go to make sure you haven’t under flavoured or over flavoured! good luck!

6. Tan Yee Hou January 18, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

Ohh might be abit duhh but do you have to let it cool before putting in the fridge?

Kinda thinking about the room temperature problem because its milk.

7. Heather January 18, 2011 at 9:13 pm #

AWESOME step by step guide. Thanks kim! looked so easy and so yummy, I was inspired to make it myself immediately. Now I have my own apple cinnamon raisin flavoured tea kulfi freezing in my freezer :)

• Kimberlycun January 18, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

yeehou: well, hot food makes the freezer works harder to cool it down but personally, i stuck em in cause i couldn’t be bothered whahahaa. the bacteria issue didn’t cross my mind

heather: good luck with yours hope it turns out great!!! :D

8. june January 19, 2011 at 5:16 am #

kim does it has to be full cream milk ? or any milk also can ?

9. KY January 19, 2011 at 10:16 am #

i wanna ransack ur fridge!

• Kimberlycun January 19, 2011 at 11:35 am #

june: i used full cream milk. i think it’s best to use real milk, as in those that doesn’t have more than 1 ingredient in.

ky: lai lai lai hahaha

10. ShaolinTiger January 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

june: when it comes to any kind of cooking just make sure it’s real milk – like Kim says look for the ingredients and make sure the ONLY ingredient is milk. If you are in Malaysia, my favourite is the pink colour carton – aussie brand.

11. june January 20, 2011 at 6:53 am #

oh yeah, i’m using/drink that milk too than shud b no prob. thanks for the tip ;).

12. piffles January 25, 2011 at 11:13 am #

oooooooooohhhhh i’m so going to try it one day! thanks! =D

13. Steph January 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

thanks for the recipe. should be quite interesting to try!

1. the cook without the temporarily absent taste « purrr…. - February 2, 2011

[…] while The Other Half and the kids napped, I have tried to make some kulfi modified from a recipe here for dessert tonight while breaking in a new pair of heels I bought to match my Chinese New Year […]