Attempting to make my own Nando's peri-peri chicken recipe. - Narcissism is Necessary

Attempting to make my own Nando’s peri-peri chicken recipe.

For years we were bitter that the nearest Nando’s wouldn’t deliver to our home which was only about 5kms away. But that didn’t stop us from eating at Nando’s.

In fact, if we ever spotted a Nando’s anywhere, it would take precedent over other meal options. Like seriously, we would know where to eat in a heartbeat. Nando’s!

Recently, we embarked on a slow-carb diet and boy were we happy when we realised that Nando’s has the best slow carb meals! Proteins, vegetables and beans…superb! However, Nando’s still does not deliver to my area :(

# – Kimberly’s homemade peri-peri chicken!

But it’s okay now because I can make my own peri-peri chicken at home!

For the peri-peri sauce:

• 3 bird’s eye chillies (if want spicier increase amount up to 8 for very hot), chopped
  • 3 ordinary red chillies, chopped
  • 1 red capsicum, seeded and chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 2 tablespoonfuls of oregano
  • 1/2 a cup of olive oil
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 70 ml of white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons of salt
  • For the chicken:

• 1 whole chicken, butterflied and cut into half
  • Some salt
  • By the way, the recipe for the peri-peri sauce yields about 300ml of sauce. Multiply it accordingly if you want to make more, it keeps for a month in the fridge!

# – First, pour the olive oil into a saucepan over medium heat.

# – Then add the white vinegar.

# – When the oil & vinegar mixture starts simmering, throw in the chopped up red capsicums.

# – As well as the garlic cloves.

# – Followed by juice of half a lemon. Stir to mix.

# – Allow the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes.’

# – After 15 minutes, turn off the heat. Add the chopped red chillies with seeds and all.

# – Not to forget the bird’s eyes chillies too, with seeds as well.

# – Also the oregano.

# – And lastly, salt. Allow the mixture to cool down slightly, about 10-15 minutes.

# – After it has cooled down a bit, pour it into a blender.

# – Blitz till it’s creamy and turn a bright orange. The peri-peri sauce is now done :D

# – Now, pour about 150 ml of sauce all over the chicken (that’s been rubbed with some salt) and brush it all over. Keep the rest of the sauce.

# – Stick the chicken in the fridge to marinade for a minimum of 3 hours or best, overnight.

# – When ready to cook, bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees celcius for 30 minutes. Then turn the heat down to 180 degrees celcius and cook for a further 15-20 minutes.

# – Peri-peri chicken, DONE!

# – Serve with grilled vegetables and 3 bean salad (recipe to be posted soon). Pour the remaining peri-peri sauce over the chicken for extra oomph.

# – And that’s how you make your own Nando’s peri-peri chicken at home.

The chicken was succulent and full of flavours. The sauce was delicious!

The BF said that it didn’t taste precisely like the sauce from Nando’s but it’s unmistakably a peri-peri sauce with its own special kick. Happy cooking!

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

38 Responses to Attempting to make my own Nando’s peri-peri chicken recipe.

1. Tey Cindy September 20, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

AWESOME(SAUCE)!!! LOL

2. ShaolinTiger September 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

Absolutely delicious and totally on diet – awesome! Can’t wait to eat this again…soon..LOL

3. Anivyl September 20, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

eehhh I am so going to try that… one day ahahahaha (lazy lazy lazy)

• Kimberlycun September 20, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

hehe just make it happen lor…the ingredients so easy to get!

4. Isaac Tan September 21, 2011 at 1:18 am #

why you so awesome ar? ><

5. Elaine September 21, 2011 at 3:06 am #

OMGOMGOMG I am super stoked to see this! This is freaking awesome! I will definitely try this! I missed Nando’s chicken ever since I left Msia T_T

• Kimberlycun September 21, 2011 at 5:53 am #

Aww…hope you’d get a taste of home with this recipe! <3

6. eyeris September 21, 2011 at 11:28 am #

Yay! I also want to make my own peri-peri sauce now!

7. 13thpanda September 21, 2011 at 11:57 am #

Whenever I am at KL, i will eat nandos..since I can’t have it here in Kuching, I bought 2 bottles of the sauce back..AHAHA

8. Peri-Peri September 22, 2011 at 2:56 am #

The ingredients are indeed simple, had all of them at home. So made this sauce for chicken fillets today. The sauce tasted just like a South African brand Peri-Peri sauce sold at Cold Storage, however it is not like the Nando’s one, which is sourer & spicier. Still good anyhow, has a nice capsicum flavour.

• Kimberlycun September 22, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

Glad you’ve tried it! I totally agree with you. If you like it spicier and sourer, you can add more bird’s eye chilies and vinegar. It’s all about experimenting till you find your perfect balance of flavours :D

9. Tien September 22, 2011 at 6:35 am #

Awesome! I love Nando’s too :) Thanks for sharing the recipe, will bookmark this!

10. Asma ali April 18, 2012 at 5:26 am #

Unfortunately didn’t turn out anything like NANDOS

11. Rachel Miranda May 3, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

I remember coming across this recipe and then trying it out and unfortunately couldnt find this recipe again.And here i am after a year or more,i finally found your page again.Im so happy.Cant wait to make this again.The last time i made it,it was SO amazingly tasty.Thanks for this recipe :D

12. Zahid hussain September 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Very good

13. illy February 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

Just tried this recently, and its super tasty~!! the sauce is spectacular. Although Nandos has a certain “pijar” (i dunno what’s the word in English), and not EXACTLY like nandos. my family loves it~!

14. Buddhika February 26, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

finger licking good tried it and I am from Sri Lanka we love our chillie in this part of the world and boy do my family love it or what!!!!

15. Carmen May 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

Very very nice! Everybody approved. Not very difficult to make. Definately a keeper.

16. Mark Hawken June 4, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

Thanks Kim your sauce worked perfectly although I used 10 birds eye chillies because my son and I eat extra extra hot at Nandos also made bean salad yum. Love your blog Kim as my wife is Japanese and we have eaten a fusion of east west for years. Your holiday looked awesome wish we lived closer to resorts like that at least we got Minehead haha Mark in Bristol

• Kimberlycun June 4, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

Thanks for your comment Mark, appreciate it. Always happy to know someone has benefited from these silly recipes :) Minehead is beautiful, my husband’s aunt lives there! :) Cheers

17. Sarah May 21, 2014 at 2:50 pm #

Hi there,

I haven’t tried this yet, but will definitely give it a go. I am totally addicted to Nandos, in fact last time we ate there (and scanned our loyalty card) the really sweet guy at the counter, who on a side note, greeted us with “Hello again!”, got a glance at our saved up points and said, “wow, nice”.

One thing your recipe is missing is a subtle hint of coriander! I feel almost positive that it makes an appearance in their bastings, though of course I have no proof.

Give it a go, I reckon it will get you a little bit closer to the real thing! :)

18. Sarah May 31, 2014 at 10:35 am #

Absolutely delicious! Even better after a couple of weeks in the fridge to soak up the flavours. Thanks for posting. Well definitely be making this again!

19. Julian June 1, 2014 at 11:11 pm #

Rightio, this looks burnt and dry as fuk, why wouldn’t you just go to the supermarket or nandos where they sell the actual nandos sauce so you can baste the chicken yourself?
      Fkn muppet retards

• Ms T October 25, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Julian you obviously tried the recipe… Why didn’t you just go buy your own then??? Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean others don’t. Be grateful people even share their recipes!!

• Michael T Beck August 2, 2016 at 9:44 am #

Moron.

20. Gypsy On The Move April 16, 2015 at 12:01 pm #

Hello Kim! I am HUGE fan of Nando’s so thank you soooo much for this recipe! I cannot wait to try it with my sister this weekend. Thank you!!

21. FlibseyEm July 29, 2015 at 12:31 am #

Omg you’ve just changed my life. FuFindingnding a decent recipe means I can now have Nandos-ish without fear of gluten or cross contamination.
      I swapped out the vinegar for white wine vinegar.

Awesome. Thanks again.

22. Amanda March 15, 2016 at 12:45 pm #

Thank you for the recipe. I’ve also shared it on my fb. It’s really lekka. Thank you

23. Matt May 1, 2016 at 2:54 pm #

Great stuff – thanks for taking the time to write this up. I’ve been looking for a home made nandos chicken recipe all morning – the others I read didn’t seem quite right… THIS looks like the real deal!

24. Ps June 2, 2016 at 11:38 pm #

Can’t wait I try on this weekend……..

25. Ting September 29, 2016 at 3:42 am #

Kim, I love this recipe! The one thing I miss most about living in South Africa is Nando’s chicken. I’ve used your recipe over and over again and I will never get tired of it. Thank you!

1. Slow carb friendly – Peri-peri pork kebabs. | NARCISSISM IS NECESSARY - October 7, 2011

[…] you’ve made the peri-peri sauce that I’ve blogged about before, this recipe would be super stress-less to make! I made about […]