Economy of scale. - Narcissism is Necessary

Economy of scale.

For the longest time, my kitchen scale was this cute but tiny plastic thing bought from Daiso. It was cheap (RM5!!!) and I held no aspirations for it. My only hope was that it could at least give me a close enough measurement.

# – This packet is 520 grams, right?

Then I made profiteroles for the first time, and failed. I made it for the second time, and failed too. My biscuits were always a little too hard. My cakes could be a little less dense. I finally realised that maybe, “close enough” was simply not good enough.

Lets not even talk about how many times I made a mess while weighing ingredients like flour and sugar because the plastic container simply bounced off the scale when during pouring of the ingredients, they hit the bottom of the container a little too hard.

Anyway, those days are behind me now. Perhaps sick of being forced to eat rock hard biscuits or possibly tired of me whining constantly about my “stupid cheapass plastic scale”, but even more possibly out of sheer love for his girlfriend, the dear boyfriend has bought me the creme de la creme of weighing scales, a Tanita.

Today, after work, he brought it home and handed it to me with a big grin on his face. I’m glad I didn’t screw up his dinner.

# – Nope, it’s exactly 500 grams as printed on the packet!

My Tanita, it is a thing of beauty…

Of course, I had to weigh my head because it is the sort of thing you do when there’s a precision weighing scale in your possession, no?

# – 3.835 kg.

I’m a little worried now because the average head is supposed to weigh between 4.5 and 5 kg, and that is without hair.

, , , ,

16 Responses to Economy of scale.

1. Ciki March 28, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

very cute.. love the blog .. and love the hair! xoxo

2. yumii March 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

after a long consideration, i’ve decided to put your blog under the cooking category already!!!! hahah 8D continue to show us your cooking more!!

• Kimberlycun March 29, 2011 at 11:19 am #

haha whichever category you file under, i’m happy as long as you enjoy my posts! :D

3. ctlkchswk March 29, 2011 at 8:02 am #

average head without hair 4.5 – 5kg…is that for asians? hhmm…you can try pressing your head harder against the scale..lol

ctlkchswk.wordpress.com

4. julian March 29, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Guess no one can accuse you of being a big head then …

5. sha March 29, 2011 at 11:50 pm #

Congrats on the upgrade!! Hahaha, after trying out a few recipes online with a scale and figuring out the 5grams or 3grams. I returned and bought myself a digital too! hahaha ~ More $$$ but less frustration and lower the failure rate!

• Kimberlycun March 30, 2011 at 11:23 am #

yeah, you definitely get what you pay for haha.

6. FeR March 31, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

I’ve not made profiteroles so don’t know if the same thing of what I do with other baking works…but ever since I started baking from cup measurements (err..what’s the right term for that?), I never looked back. I try to convert grams = ?? cups/tablespoon etc. I’m lazy to weigh the ingredients…and find it easier to transport my cups for measurement if I go to a friend’s house to bake (a plus if they haven’t got scales).

gotta say though, if someone bought me a scale like that, i’d probably start measuring ingredients by weight again. ;) enjoy!

• Kimberlycun March 31, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

i tried to use cups also, but a lot of recipes i refer to use weight measurements so a bit difficult when i convert into cup measurements when the density is not same as actual weight. i think only very experienced cooks (such as yourself) can handle cup measurements ;)

• FeR March 31, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

nooooo…not experienced. combination of lack of scale+laziness. i have this cooking book (first page) that converts gm=oz=cup for different (commonly used) ingredients to make things easier. plus, there is always google. :D

7. Intan January 21, 2015 at 5:14 pm #

where did u buy this scale? I want it! Reply plsss. Desperate

• Kimberlycun January 22, 2015 at 5:41 pm #

my husband bought it from a merchant on lowyat forum. sorry I don’t remember who anymore, you need to search. thank you!