Great Free Kitchen Design Planning Software - Narcissism is Necessary

Great Free Kitchen Design Planning Software

I find myself at a dead-end whenever I try to figure out what I want to do with my new kitchen. I mean, I have a general feeling and idea of what I want: industrial, heavy duty and still cosy but for the life of me, I’m not able to find any remotely close inspirational pictures on Google images. I guess it’s not easy…how the heck do you combine industrial and “still cosy” together aye? I know -_-

So I searched around the Internet for a software that allows me to design a kitchen without needing to know any 3D rendering skill. The most popular one seems to be the one from Ikea, but I found the kitchen planning tool limited and the 3D render not so impressive. I’ve also tried Google SketchUp before. Well, it’s not for the fainthearted as you’d end up with a gigantic fridge and a oven fit for the use of an ant. Crazy ratios -_-

After searching around more, I landed on a website called Free Kitchen Design Software. To be honest, I was very skeptical because of how the website looks like. It’s dated and looks more like a spam site then a genuine website. The URL alone screams spam central. I don’t know what possessed me but I thought I’d give it a try and I’m glad I did.

What I found far exceeded my expectations!!!

#1 – You can customise the size of your space, number of windows, doors and their positions.

#2 – Then you can drag all the wall cabinets, floor cabinets, appliances and other things onto the 2D plan of your kitchen.

#3 – You can also customise the colours of almost everything including cabinet handles, floor finishes, wall finish, cabinet material, worktop material etc. It’s awesomesauce to the max!

#4 – You can only drag the objects onto the 2D plan but you can view the results in 3D. This is my favourite part of the software :)

Think the colours are a bit depressing eh? No problem! Just click the Design button and fix it there.

#5 – Wooden cabinets for a fresher look. You can also rotate the 3D render to view it from a different perspective.

You see what I mean by how versatile this software is? It is also very stable, unlike the Ikea kitchen planning tool which have a tendency to hang on my computer. That said, there are still several things that I feel are lacking on it, primarily the objects. I want wall cabinets that suspend from ceilings as well as aluminum shelves, which they don’t have. I don’t like the gap between ceiling and cabinets cause it’s gateway to dusty-ville.

So, while I can kind of visualise more accurately how my kitchen will look like with this application, it’s still not 100%. I’m leaving that to a good friend who is a kitchen designer. Happy kitchen planning!

, , , , , ,

11 Responses to Great Free Kitchen Design Planning Software

1. sotong March 27, 2010 at 12:38 am #

This is cool.. remind me of playing “The Sim” :P

2. Suertes March 28, 2010 at 12:03 am #

Just to share: my kitchen cabinets (more than 30 years old now) also don’t reach the top. What we do is use it as storage for bulky but light stuff like used gift fruit baskets (which make for handy recycling). Well, just an idea of how to use that space, dust trap that it is!

3. Kimberlycun March 28, 2010 at 2:53 am #

sotong: lol

suertes: my mom use the space in her kitchen the same way too, but whatever that are put there never get used again so again, dust trap! hehe

4. Fieran March 29, 2010 at 5:21 am #

Hm, it seems the common design these days is the island counter top:

My elder sister’s kitchen is designed like this. It’s quite space efficient and gives you more room to work.

5. ciki March 29, 2010 at 9:57 am #

what a clever cookie you are. come redesign my kitchen too please .. :P

6. fallen March 29, 2010 at 11:54 am #

kim,
    You might want to head to a signature kitchen outlet. I went there last sat and the sales assistant was pretty helpful. In 30mins he had hand sketched a design n given us the rough cost. he aslo broke the cost down to diff materials used.

They are still quite expensive when compared to the market but a great source for ideas.

7. Kimberlycun March 29, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

fieran: am obsessed with getting an island! but currently am not sure about the space in my kitchen whether it’s feasible, hoping it does. that’s one thing about the software..no island :(

ciki: lol u dont want me to do that!!

fallen: that’s great! i went to a home & decor exhibition and basically had quite a terrible time with all these kitchen designers. maybe i’ll try again

8. KY April 3, 2010 at 11:54 am #

waa looks pretty cool!

9. aso July 29, 2011 at 6:33 am #

thanks

10. mustafa November 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

i am so happy that you give more details and i need more in-formations about how to make kitchen,bedrooms etc.please try to help me to arrange it and give some more program details and software details

regards
    mustafa

1. Making sure your furniture fits your space. » NARCISSISM IS NECESSARY - November 22, 2010

[…] the way, you can read about my adventures in kitchen designing in this post. Funnily, I wasn’t such a big fan of SketchUp because I was too lazy to learn […]