BMW EfficientDynamics - Day 1 - Narcissism is Necessary

BMW EfficientDynamics – Day 1

I love driving. Fast. My personal record was doing a 3-hour from Johor Bahru to Petaling Jaya, and I stopped for a nice lunch & two big scoops of Baskin Robbins for dessert. I’ve been a passenger in a rally car in action, doing 90kmh at a 90 degree corner…man, I live for things like these. Being in a really fast car doesn’t scare me, but being in a slow car driven by a n00b scares me more.

So I was damn excited when I was invited to be a participant of BMW’s Eco Bloggers Diesel Drive. The core of the drive was BMW’s EfficientDynamics concept. It’s a continuous strategy by BMW to reduce fuel consumption & emission levels (the Efficient part), while at the same time enhancing the vehicle’s performance and driving pleasure (the Dynamics part). Although it’s already a 10 year old concept, it’s only introduced to Malaysia recently with the availability of advanced diesel engines in October 2009.

#1 – Eco Bloggers Diesel Drive
BMW EfficientDynamics

Most people think that diesel cars are a nuisance to road users and the environment, with their dirty and smelly emissions but those days are bygones. With the advancement of engine technology and better quality diesel, diesel cars are on par with petrol cars, if not even better. There are concerns about its performance though, like its lack of horsepower. But horsepower is urm, horseshit. Ultimately, it’s the torque that a driver feels and the massive torque certainly makes up for the diesel cars’ low RPM. 3 letters to sum it up, F.U.N!!!

#2 – Sashi a.k.a The Man.
BMW EfficientDynamics

The day started at Mandarin Oriental with Sashi the corporate communications manager a.k.a The Man giving us the lowdown on EfficientDynamics. I only had about 3 hours of sleep so I didn’t absorb much of it. Sorry, Sashi. All I wanted was to get into the car and drive. My partner was ShaolinTiger. Then we adjourned to Dewan Filharmonik where all the cars we’re going to drive were decked out like superstars. Man, I felt like a superstar!

#3 – In front of Dewan Filharmonik, KLCC.
BMW EfficientDynamics

We were assigned car Number 1, a 320d Sports. Why is it called Sports? Well, it’s got a pimping M3 bodykit & suspension but it’s not really an M3. Apparently the 320d would hover above the tarmac and is unstoppable if driven in its default shell, hence the heavyweight M3 accessories to weigh it down so to speak. So wild, right?

#4 – With the 320d Sports.
BMW EfficientDynamics

Lo and behold, we’ve got police escort from KLCC all the way to Petronas in Mutiara Damansara! Thank you Petronas Dynamic Diesel!

Ivan Khong was our convoy leader. He is awesome! More about Ivan later in this post.

#5 – Ivan Khong.
BMW EfficientDynamics

ST was the first driver and we were flagged off. To be honest, I really wish I was driving this leg because driving with a police escort means you could go really fast with underprivileged mortals eye-ing you with envy from their boring vehicles, nyahahahhaa. It was truly an extraordinary experience!

#6 – Flagging off.
BMW EfficientDynamics

#7 – Police escort. I was in car Number 1, just behind the Lead.
BMW EfficientDynamics

You know the massive jam at the turnoff to LDP in TTDI? We got out of the jam in exactly 2 minutes and 56 seconds. Can you say WTF again? It felt realllllllllllllllly good, man.

#8 – Video of police parting traffic for us in the middle of TTDI

We reached Petronas Mutiara Damansara in record time. Then we were each given a RM40 Mesra vouchers which we spent on junk food and water.

#9 – Ivan pumping anti-foaming Petronas Dynamic Diesel into the beemer.
BMW EfficientDynamics

After getting the car ceremoniously refueled for the first and last time of the journey, we made our way towards Belum Resort in Pulau Banding by the Temenggor Dam.

#10 – To North South Highway.
BMW EfficientDynamics

It was a really fun drive, namely because of Ivan. He has the funniest vocabulary but is very strict! He has no qualms reprimanding us over the walkie-talkie for driving like assholes hehehe. I supposed if it weren’t for him, some of us would not have made it out alive. Case in point, Suanie who was almost killed by Eyeris. “Tickle the throttle” will forever be etched in my mind.

We swapped drivers a couple of times. Stopped by Ipoh for lunch and then made the last leg of the journey to Belum Resort. I got to drive up the winding, bending roads uphill to Belum Resort. I haz adrenaline!!!

#11 – Passing a bridge.
BMW EfficientDynamics

#12 – My lansi driving mug. I drive with one hand like Ah Beng one.
BMW EfficientDynamics

So the drive up the winding roads was awesome. I was determined to follow Ivan (lead car) and KY who was by now, in front of me. I was steady….till I reached this sharpass bend where I was going 140kmh and I was turning so much that my arse began sliding to the left and I was like eff this shit, I’m just gonna floor it. I made it and when I come into a straight road, I began to pussy out for the rest of the journey haha. Apparently the beemer’s Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) lights were blinking :P

And then we reached paradise….alive & kicking. They fed us with champagne.

#13 – Bubblies.

#14 – Belum Resort.
BMW EfficientDynamics

#15 – Obligatory camho picture.
BMW EfficientDynamics

#16 – Obligatory hotel camho picture.
BMW EfficientDynamics

#17 – The beautiful room.
BMW EfficientDynamics

#18 – Another obligatory hotel camho picture.
BMW EfficientDynamics

We showered, rested for a bit and then it was dinner time.

#19 – The outdoor dinner area was so beautiful…
BMW EfficientDynamics

Huai Bin managed to find a jenga set and we proceeded to play drunken Jenga.

#20 – The Evil Jenga. That’s KY on the left before passing out.
BMW EfficientDynamics

#21 – Robb‘s lost count on his number of glasses.
BMW EfficientDynamics

As for myself, I don’t remember much of the night….

Stay tuned for Day 2!

Other bloggers:

Suanie
Eyeris
ShaolinTiger
KY
Huai Bin
Tey Cindy
Ringo
3iling
SaiMatKong

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to BMW EfficientDynamics – Day 1

1. julian December 10, 2009 at 2:00 am #

dead jealous I am :) But I must say I wonder how they get the police to escort you guys… wonder if there’s some ‘Dial an escort’ service ;p

2. pinkpau December 10, 2009 at 3:41 am #

hahaha i love your lansi driving mug. it has its place in the next fast and the furious, fo sho

3. KY December 10, 2009 at 4:05 am #

hahaha yah robb was properly KOed

4. Robb December 10, 2009 at 10:10 am #

yea, i bet ky will share my pictures where i puked and gave a thumbs up. damn

5. Ivan Khong December 10, 2009 at 10:39 am #

Good writeup…. am i that fierce?

6. eiling December 10, 2009 at 11:34 am #

Nice one Kim! I love your police escort video! so cool eh?!! They must be hell lots of people in those cars cursing us! But it’s all GOOOOODDDD!

7. Ivan Khong December 10, 2009 at 11:43 am #

‘ He has the funniest vocabulary’…. LOL!

8. Mark December 10, 2009 at 1:33 pm #

Wow sounds like an awesome trip. Would definitely want to try driving the 320d especially when I drive long distances for work.

9. eyeris December 10, 2009 at 1:48 pm #

Again I stress, I would NOT have killed Suan because I was going too slow when I had to slam the brakes. I would have wrecked the car though. heh heh.

10. Chingy December 10, 2009 at 2:21 pm #

Ah iz jealous! Didn;t know bout Diesel in that way.

11. ShaolinTiger December 10, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

Tickle the throttle woohooo.

It was a fantastic experience, great cars and Ivan is a taskmaster but at least he keeps a fast pace.

12. Myhorng December 10, 2009 at 7:25 pm #

if driving fast got invited y not meeee? i also lovesssssssssssssss to drive mch. :P

nice experience. i so wish i was there 2.

13. saimatkong December 11, 2009 at 1:19 am #

woo hoo missing BMW drive or not? haha drive like crazy man, that kind of driving i think only once in my lifetime! =p

14. Kimberlycun December 11, 2009 at 1:27 am #

julian: i have no idea how they got the police escort but it’s awesome! Lol

ah pau: hahaha yeah cheras ah bengs unite!

Ky: lucky he didnt striptease for us lol

ivan: YES but it’s for our own good hhaha

eiling: it’s the most awesome thing everrrrrrrrrr

ivan: you do! Lolol don’t tickle…Slaughter the throttle!!!!

mark: make it happen!

Eyeris: where got :P

chingy: yeah i thinks it’s gonna be the fuel of the future.

ST: true that!

Myhorng: we wish u were there too!

saimatkong: MISSSS!

15. TheGunner December 11, 2009 at 9:32 am #

“Kim was a riskier driver! She overtook someone when that someone was overtaking! LOL” – She officially meets the requirements to be a motoring journalist.

Ivan, I like your expression when pumping the diesel. You look like you damn syok!

16. ivan khong December 11, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

the Gunner / Kon: Dont encourage her! U may end up sitting with her as ur driver one of these days hahhaha

17. TheGunner December 11, 2009 at 5:32 pm #

I know I’m putting my life on the line, but I think it’s a sacrifice worth making, since most motoring media drives are pretty much sausage fests… =P

Besides, we can train her to over take only when the walkie says, “Road is clear, road is clear!”

18. imantulen December 11, 2009 at 11:00 pm #

shucks! lucky you, i would have loved the chance to do a comparison between my car and the bmw 6 series….

19. Kimberlycun December 12, 2009 at 3:51 am #

thegunner: hahahaha ya man…in my previous job whenever i lent the scoobies out to motoring journos for test driving sure cannot sleep well one lor! specially put that picture up of ivan coz he looks so stim

ivan: hehehe what…my passenger still alive what!

thegunner: will be very happy to help balance out the sausage taco ratio…just need sashi to invite me to more of these drives heheheh. and yes, i can be trained one! swear!

imantulan: oh yeah man..i’d love to get my hands on the 6 series too and the 135 /salivates

20. Steve at the Pub December 12, 2009 at 5:57 pm #

Police are an Emergency Service.
    The emergency is this case is …er… there isn’t one. The police are being used as a middle class toy.

The coppers who were ordered to do this must wonder why they joined.
    The senior officer who approved it should resign.

No wonder they are viewed as an inferior police force.

21. Kimberlycun December 12, 2009 at 6:04 pm #

steve: if police had better salary they wouldn’t need tasks like this to supplement their income and there would naturally be better qualified people doing the work. vicious cycle.

this is about the only thing they are good at so no complaints from the receiving end.

22. TheGunner December 12, 2009 at 11:19 pm #

“specially put that picture up of ivan coz he looks so stim” – ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

“will be very happy to help balance out the sausage taco ratio…” – I heard there are a few vacancies, people are moving around. ;)

“just need sashi to invite me to more of these drives heheheh.” – I’m curious to see if other company’s will follow suit with blogger drivers.

23. ndmervin December 16, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

You guys are lucky and I felt you! Miss those test drive days.. Yes, Ivan is supercool with stuff like this! So would you get a Beemer soon? :D

24. Kimberlycun December 17, 2009 at 3:19 am #

thegunner: haha not kidding you! that is a rare picture of ivan, it needs and begs to be published! as for the balancing act, shall see where the tide brings me :D am curious about other companies too, pretty sure the pr guys are happy to do it but the top guys take a lot of convincing to move forward. am glad beemer’s are progressive enough to go down this route. bloggers can never replace journos though, just compliment :)

ndmervin: heh can always walk into a showroom and relive the experience, eventhough a shorter time :) ivan is awesomesauce. and unfortunately, i wont be getting a beemer, as that’d mean i have to like live in it with a portable toilet towed behind :P

25. john dun April 11, 2011 at 8:52 am #

I saw your video, what a bunch of retards you are.

• john dun April 11, 2011 at 8:55 am #

Oh, forgot to say, you look ugly and no BMW will help you to look better.

1. The BMW Eco Drive Experience – Diesel Rocks! | .: ShaolinTiger – Kung-Fu Geekery :. - December 11, 2009

[…] There I am driving the 320d (fast) just behind the white car (the leader, Ivan Khong). I have to say having a police escort through the busy KL traffic was so far one of the more memorable experiences in my life. Now I totally appreciate why the VIPs always do it, it's incredible. You can see the video taken by Kim whilst I was driving over at her blog here. […]

2. kyspeaks.com » 10 things I learnt from the BMW drive - December 13, 2009

[…] other lessons learnt at the BMW Drive) Eco-Bloggers Diesel Drive 2009 – The Diesel Myths BMW EfficientDynamics – Day 1 Breakfast @ Mandarin Oriental and a police […]

3. My highlights of 2009 in a single post. » NARCISSISM IS NECESSARY - December 30, 2009

[…] it’s the BWM EfficientDynamics trip to Pulau Banding. Simply, simply gorgeous trip. And police escort, […]

4. BMW EfficientDynamics – Day 2 » NARCISSISM IS NECESSARY - January 6, 2010

[…] This is a continuation of my last post on BWM EfficientDynamics. […]

5. You’re safer on the road now thanks to MINI. » NARCISSISM IS NECESSARY - July 19, 2010

[…] brought relief as he was the instructor for the awesome BMW drive last year (read about BMW Drive here & […]