Charcoal factory in Kuala Sepetang. - Narcissism is Necessary

Charcoal factory in Kuala Sepetang.

I’m so completely lacking of blogging urges these days it’s not funny. I’m a pathetic excuse for a blogger…people should just call me booger instead.

Anyway, I went to Perak/Penang for Shutter Asia‘s 2nd Anniversary. It was a fun trip except that I was completely immobilised on the 2nd day due to menstrual cramps. Yeah, I guess you don’t have to know that but it’s my boog.

On the first day, we went to a really picturesque charcoal factory in Kuala Sepetang near Simpang. It was my first time seeing how charcoals are made, it’s pretty fascinating. I took about 80 pictures, but they mostly turned out crappy. I really need to practise -_-

Here are some of the decent ones:

#1 – Charcoal factory.
Charcoal factory.

#2 – Workers on a break.
Workers resting

#3 – Old man chilling out. He’s worked there for the past 40 years.
Chilling

#4 – Sorting out the bits.
Sorting

#5 – Personal belongings.
Personal belongings.

#6 – The river by the factory where they transport the logs.
Boat

#7 – 62 year old former fisherman.
62 year old former fisherman.

p/s: All pictures were taken with Nikon D70s / 50mm.

p/p/s: Some were not watermarked because my batch action fucked up and I was too lazy to fix it.

, , , ,

18 Responses to Charcoal factory in Kuala Sepetang.

1. suanie March 11, 2009 at 10:43 am #

wah i would have loved to be there. i like this kind of things one

2. Myhorng March 11, 2009 at 11:17 am #

charcoal factory, cool experience.
    all the personal belonging covered by some charcoal black stains and I wonder if that happened to your face, hand whatever. LOL

3. ShaolinTiger March 11, 2009 at 12:39 pm #

Yah later when I dug my boogers out they were black, charcoal FTW!

It was a really interesting place.

4. Mellissa March 11, 2009 at 2:16 pm #

Wooo, I really like the third one :)

5. KY March 11, 2009 at 3:12 pm #

very nice pictures!

6. beverly March 11, 2009 at 6:38 pm #

very nice pictures! love the picture of the old man. it has some kind of a vintage vibe on it. keep it up!

7. YJ March 12, 2009 at 9:53 am #

I’m not photo connoisseur but I think pic number 2 is really nice. Feels like you’re in a coal mine in China or something. Definitely couldn’t tell that its Malaysia.

8. Janus March 12, 2009 at 7:50 pm #

Been a silent (mostly) reader for a long time, but must really commend you for the very nice photos. Liked #2 best.

9. aeroplane1234 March 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm #

“boog” … spellin?

10. en_me March 19, 2009 at 9:36 am #

nice story.. keep it up

11. chitrakorn asawasukhon March 28, 2009 at 12:30 pm #

really interesting set of pics. very journalistic and print quality stuff u got there. cool!!!

12. mohd rasfan December 7, 2009 at 9:39 pm #

Yup good place there… just came back kuala sepetang for an assignment… nice place there..

13. e June 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm #

hi ms booger
    i’m just writing in to tell you that contrary to what you wrote about the quality of your charcoal factory pix, i actually think they are pretty fantastic…
    thing is, i’m actually a freelance journalist and i recently went to that very same factory on assignment for an inflight magazine… i went with a photographer and while his pictures were pretty good, there are at least 2 of your photos i wouldn’t hesitate to publish…
    as a collection, i am somewhat drawn in by your overall interpretation (based on these 7 pix) and would be curious to see some of the other ones you took for a wider overview…
    anyway, nice work, take care and thanks for allowing me to sully your boog wall with this comment

14. r August 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

hello,

pls send me the name and the address of this factory , as im a charcoal trader from dubai looking for supplier in Malaysia,,

by the way really need to practis

many thanks

15. peter January 31, 2011 at 11:59 pm #

看到照片引起了我的興趣,可否給我工場的第只和名稱 想去拜訪他們 親身體驗一下 謝謝

16. peter February 1, 2011 at 12:17 am #

Saw your picture caught my interest to go visit them,to experience,can give me the name of the factory address or phone ? THANKS

17. saint February 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

can i have the charcoal factory’s contact number pls??
    or mr.chua’s contact??
    pls.
    tq.

1. My highlights of 2009 in a single post. » NARCISSISM IS NECESSARY - December 30, 2009

[…] willing to explore and share with us these places. I visited one of these in March and it’s a charcoal factory in Kuala […]