Chilled potato salad, just the way I like it. - Narcissism is Necessary

Chilled potato salad, just the way I like it.

We love potatoes in our household. Unless we’re having rice, we’re surely having potatoes. Sometimes, I even serve potatoes with rice, hehe.

There’s just something really satisfying about eating potatoes. It makes me happy. It makes my toes curl. It makes me sing happy songs.

And potatoes are so versatile, you can turn them into so many different types of dishes, it’s quite mind boggling really. My most favourite potato dish is layered potatoes, but the truth is, I’m also a not-so-secret potato salad fiend.

I have few requirements when it comes to potato salads. They are:

1. The potatoes should be cooked through but not overcooked.
2. The salad should be well-seasoned.
3. The salad should have onions.
4. The salad must have a mixture of mashed and chunky potatoes.
5. The salad MUST be chilled.

There are few dishes that should strictly be eaten chilled and potato salad is one of these dishes. Sorry, I am autocratic when it comes to the temperature of my potato salad….

So now lets make some potato salad, just the way I like it!

Ingredients:

• 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 stalk of spring onion, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoon of mayonnaise
  • 2 eggs
  • salt and black pepper to taste

# – First, peel and chop up the potatoes.

# – Then finely chop up both spring onion and red onion. Yeah, baby I love my onions!

# – Put the chopped potatoes to boil in slightly salted water. I’d say about 15-20 minutes, but do check with a fork…when you can poke it all the way through, it’s done!

# – In the meantime, put the 2 eggs into a pot of water. Turn on the flame and let the eggs cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the flame and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then remove eggs from water and let them cool down.

# – After the potatoes are done, drain them.

# – Throw the drained potatoes into a mixing bowl together with the finely chopped red onion and spring onion. Ideally this should be done while the potatoes are still quite hot because the heat will cook the onions a little bit, making them taste less harsh.

# – Next, stir them around till it looks like the potatoes are coated with the onions.

# – Then with a potato masher, mash lightly till you get some mash with chunky bits.

# – Now throw in 3 big dollops of mayonnaise. Stir to mix.

# – Some salt to taste. Don’t be too heavy handed with salt….taste as you go!

# – And some black pepper.

# – You eggs should have cooled down by now. Peel the eggs and cut into bite-size.

# – Throw them into the potatoes. Mix gently without bruising the eggs too much. The reason why I put in the eggs so late is because I don’t like the idea of stirring my eggs too long…I want the yolks more intact ;)

# – Transfer them into a container that can fit into your fridge.
null

# – Have a taste. You know you want to…

# – Wrap the container with clingwrap and stick it into the fridge for at least 2 hours.

# – Serve with your favourite main dish. I made the salad for our dinner of pan fried dory with lemon oil sauce.

And there….chilled potato salad, just the way I like it. The cold, creamy potatoes with perfectly boiled eggs, punctuated by crunchy onions….my kind of comfort food. Get some potatoes in the system, now!

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to Chilled potato salad, just the way I like it.

1. ShaolinTiger April 15, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

Goddamn I could demolish a MASSIVE bowl of this right now, I demand it be even more unhealthy next time…and have bacon in it too :D

2. Tien April 15, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

Hail potatoes!! I love potatoes too. Agree, fry it, boil it, mash it, bake it…hot or cold, it still tastes so good! Love the recipe :)

3. mela April 15, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

I have a version with green apple chunks together with the potatoes!

I make my own mayo though. One egg in the blender with 1 tsp of mustard and lemon juice. Turn on the blender and drizzle extra virgin olive oil in while blender is on. Salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I make it funky with some dried coriander or Cayenne pepper. The possibilities are endless. That way the mayo is fresh each time :)

• Kimberlycun April 18, 2011 at 3:38 am #

love the apple idea! will try it when i make it next time. i did try to make mayo with electronic mixer but it didn’t work, no matter how long i beat the mixture stayed liquidy :( i’ll try to make it with blender next..thanks for the tip!

4. Chee Ching April 16, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

AHHHHH! :D Simple and easy! Coincidentally I have 2 cartons of eggs in my fridge due to the cheap price ahuhu. *Sucker for cheap groceries*

• Chee Ching April 16, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

Oh oh! And I think my friend told me before to add sausages as well. :D

• Kimberlycun April 18, 2011 at 3:39 am #

wah like that i can’t file this under vegetarian already! lol

• Kimberlycun April 18, 2011 at 3:38 am #

hehe i like to go to cold storage and stalk for reduced price stuff though..that’s how i get cheap yummy cheeses. cheap groceries FTW!

5. whimsicaljottings April 16, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

Oh ohhhhhh, try it with a dollop of sour cream. I love mine with sour cream!

6. hazel April 16, 2011 at 7:41 pm #

you can try to put in slices of japanese cucumber and it will be crunchy and tastier as well..
    I love potato salad with japanese mayonnaise.it taste splendid

• Kimberlycun April 18, 2011 at 3:40 am #

thanks for the japanese cucumber idea! japanese mayo rocks!

7. pigpigscorner April 16, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

My hubs would love this, he’s a huge fan of potato salad!

• Kimberlycun April 18, 2011 at 3:40 am #

thanks for leaving a comment! good to see you here!

8. julian April 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

I would leave out the eggs… chopped gherkins are nice, and if you put a little mustard (couple of teaspoons) in the mayo it adds a nice bite.

9. declan April 17, 2011 at 10:51 am #

bak kut teh next please? Love your photo by photo instructions.

• Kimberlycun April 18, 2011 at 3:41 am #

working on that hahaha. thanks for the encouragement ;)

10. TheJessicat April 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

looks like someone’s on a cooking spree !! :)
    coincidentally again, i made potato salad last week as well. but my mashed potatoes were REALLY mashed till its all mushy hahaha and i added cucumbers. other than that, same thing! :D

• Kimberlycun April 18, 2011 at 3:41 am #

hey, whatever rocks your boat. i know of people who just eat potato chunks and some who just want mash :D

11. KY April 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

must go well with beeeeerrrr

12. The Cilantropist April 18, 2011 at 12:45 am #

Ah, your cooked eggs look like perfection, I love eggs in my potato salad! :)

• Kimberlycun April 18, 2011 at 3:42 am #

thank you! potato salad is not complete without eggs, imho ;)

13. Liz April 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

OMG, I just HAD to comment !! That’s exactly the same ingredients I use for MY potato salads too ! Love the onions, LOVE the eggs !!!

The only difference is, you mash your potatoes when I keep mine in cubes. And I mash my eggs, while you don’t. haha~

I’m gonna try your way out soon !!!!! :DDDDD

p.s: Your pictures are making me crave potato salad. And here I am stuck in god-forsaken Bangi, stuck in the middle of exams. Can’t wait to go home and make them !!! :P

• Kimberlycun April 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

hehe glad to see someone with similar taste buds :D hope you can get home soon & good luck with the exams!

14. sc April 18, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

been following ur blog for quite some time, n i gotta say i love your recipes! they all look so simple but would definitely taste heavenly. thanks for sharing =)

1. How to cook frozen dory fish fillet properly. | NARCISSISM IS NECESSARY - May 3, 2011

[…] # – Serve it with a side of potato salad. […]