Making Syrup Bites - you will love it like I do. - Narcissism is Necessary

Making Syrup Bites – you will love it like I do.

When the BF’s mom came to visit a couple of months ago, she brought along an old recipe book that belonged to the BF. It was given to him by his aunt when he moved away to Liverpool for university, in hopes that he would not need to survive on just instant noodles and 1 quid beers.

Thanks to Aunt Jean and that precious recipe book, my BF learned valuable cooking skills which proved very handy whenever I messed up his dinners.

# – The Dairy Book of Home Cookery.

The Dairy Book of Home Cookery now belongs to me. It mostly consists of basic recipes for almost any food you can imagine. One recipe that caught my eye was “Syrup Bites”. Personally, I have never heard of it and even googling did not yield any result. What does it look like? How does it taste like?

# – Syrup Bites?

And because I had all the ingredients in hand, I decided to make 24 pieces of “Syrup Bites”. I’m so glad I did, because they are absolutely DELICIOUS!

Ingredients A

• 100 grams of self raising flour
  • 75 grams of rolled oats
  • 25 grams of dessicated coconut

Ingredients B

• 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tablespoon of milk

Ingredients C

• 100 grams of caster sugar (I reduced it from the original 125 grams)
  • 100 grams of butter
  • 2 tablespoons of golden syrup (you can also use honey or treacle)

# – First of all, mix Ingredients A (oat, self raising flour and dessicated coconut) together in a bowl and set aside.

# – Then, mix Ingredients B (milk and bicarbonate of soda) together in a small bowl and stir until bicarbonate of soda dissolves. Set aside.

# – Next, heat up a pot and put all of Ingredients C (butter, sugar and golden syrup) into it. Keep stirring till everything’s melted.

# – Pour ingredients B into the sugary, buttery mixture. Keep stirring.

# – The mixture will expand quite a bit, don’t panic and just keep on stirring. Remove from heat.

# – Now pour the concoction into Ingredients A.

# – Keep stirring until everything is mixed up like this. Leave to cool for 30 minutes or until quite firm.

# – Roll into 24 round pieces. To be honest, it was actually quite difficult to roll, you’d likely find yourself compressing it within your palm till it forms a ball.

# – Lay them out on a greased baking tray with parchment paper. Leave some space between each ball for expansion.

# – Stick it in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celcius for 15minutes.

# – 15 minutes later, golden brown, oat-ey goodness!

# – They will feel rather soft right out of the oven, but leave them on a wire rack to cool completely and they shall firm up entirely.

# – Perfect with creamy cold milk.

# – So this is how “Syrup Bites” look like.

After some research, I realised that Syrup Bites is actually very similar to ANZAC biscuits, which were created during World War 1 for soldiers’ rations. As it doesn’t have eggs, they keep really long as long as there’s no moisture.

On it’s own, it’s very crunchy without being dry and the buttery coconut-ty sweet golden syrup taste is simply to die for! When dipped in cold milk however, it softens up slightly and become a whole new level of delicious.

And because it’s got so much oats, I’d like to think that it’s healthy, almost ;)

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to Making Syrup Bites – you will love it like I do.

1. FeR March 31, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

mmm anzac biscuits, yum!

like what one of your readers said, your blog is morphing into a cooking one (this is by no means a bad thing), time to re-categorize my blog list, too. ;)

• Kimberlycun April 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

i guess the blog reflects my phases in life, now it’s cooking! hehe. thanks for the support!

2. Merryn March 31, 2011 at 11:39 pm #

wow wow wow wow wow! This is simply awesome! I love healthy snacks and maybe I’ll try this! shiok!

3. Kim- Liv Life April 1, 2011 at 1:21 am #

I have a growing teenaged boy who would devour these!!! Love ’em!!!

4. Tien April 1, 2011 at 6:55 am #

Love the colour! Never heard of it too, but it looks delicious enough for me to attempt this soon…:) Thanks Kimberly for sharing!

• Kimberlycun April 1, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

thanks tien! we’ve all probably had tasted something similar to it.

5. KY April 1, 2011 at 10:09 am #

waaa i want some!!

6. beetrice April 1, 2011 at 11:42 am #

this sounds awesome! :D and yeah, your blog seems to be morphing into a cooking blog…not complaining though! (unless you count my stomach)

• Kimberlycun April 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

haha yeah, it’s all i’m ever doing these days!

7. ShaolinTiger April 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

These taste really good, amazing how much they transform from the pre-cooked state.

And they taste even better the next day! I wish I brought some to work..

• Kimberlycun April 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

hrmm, my brother just devoured the last remaining biscuits :P

8. Pat April 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm #

Thanks for the wonderful recipe, I made this twice today! Yummy! For the 2nd one i added raisins!

• Kimberlycun April 2, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

yay! glad you enjoyed them! i’ll add some raisins for my next attempt too! cheers :)

9. kaminski April 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

Its funny how you mentioned the recipe book given by an Aunty, my Aunty gave me one years ago when I first moved to Ghana, how she expected me to use it in the middle of the jungle is anyone’s guess! Anyway, the reason I am here is to mention a classic UK baking book from the 50’s and 60’s.Maybe the BF knows it, the Be-ro cookbook…one of the best for pastries and baking ever,however,they do have recipes online these days but they ain’t the same. Ask the BF, I am sure he loves Roly Poly and the like…lol.
    Keep them foodie posts comin’!!

10. kaminski April 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

Sorry, should have mentioned the website : http://www.be-ro.com/f_insp.htm

• Kimberlycun April 5, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

oh yes, the BF loves roly poly but i can’t seem to find suet in malaysia, i probably have to buy them online or something. thanks for the link, i’ll ask him about Be-ro and see if he’s familiar with it.

11. Lin May 14, 2017 at 4:20 am #

I know it’s been ages since you posted this, but I wanted to let you know how thrilled I am to find this page! I used to make these a lot when I was a child and I’ve been thinking fondly of them for years now. I don’t have access to the book any more, It seemed daft to buy an entire cookbook just for one recipe, but here you are, with the one recipe I really wanted! I can’t wait to make these again. I used to love how the batter frothed up. :)