Thanks for supporting this cause. - Narcissism is Necessary

Thanks for supporting this cause.

I’ve been waiting forever to write this post. As some of you might know, I made a pledge a couple of months ago to raise funds to buy a hospital bed for Goo Tyng Tong, a bed-ridden 17 year old under the TLC Promise Me campaign.

Participating in this has been an enlightening experience for myself. I am still overwhelmed and touched by the amount of support shown by not just friends but complete strangers. I’ve promised myself that whenever I feel jaded or disappointed with people (most often than not over petty, silly issues), I’ll always think about this amazing display of generosity, kindness and selflessness to remind myself again that there are good in this world.

Well, after some unforeseen delay, Goo Tyng Tong’s hospital bed has been successfully delivered to him. On top of that, two of his housemates in similar plights have also received a hospital bed each.

Yes, thanks to your support and kindness, we’ve managed to raise enough money for 3 hospital beds. Thank you so, so, so much! The beds are double fowlers, basically means they can be raised in two parts, which would make tasks like feeding, changing clothes, cleaning, pass water and many more much, much easier. Hospital mattresses were also bought and I was assured by the vendor that they are not covered in ordinary PVC but with breathable water proof material.

# – Goo seems happy with his new bed :)

On behalf of Goo and his friends, I would like to specially thank and extend my gratitude to all the contributors below:

Private Donors RM
Queen Chloset 200
Paultan.org 800
Cziplee 200
Artmakr 200
Gin & Jacqie 400
TOTAL 5215

# – One of his friends on the new bed.

# – Here comes another BIG smile!

# – The costs of the beds came up to RM5040.

After buying the 3 beds, there was RM175 left, which I made out in cheque to Goo’s care centre.

# – A picture of the cheque for transparency purpose (yes, that is my writing and it’s horrible).

THREE hospital beds! WOW! To think that I was not even sure if I could manage to raise funds for one bed.

You guys truly, madly, deeply rock!

Read about the journey of this initiative here:

, , , , , ,

11 Responses to Thanks for supporting this cause.

1. Ian November 1, 2010 at 11:39 am #

Thanks for the update. Glad to have made a little difference in someone’s life. Liverpool FC Fan.

2. Glo-w November 1, 2010 at 11:41 am #

Congrats!!! Kim the philanthropist!!! some times a simple thing like a suitable bed is so important. my grandma was bed ridden for a few months before passing away, Luckily we manage to pull in money among the family to make her final moments as comfortable as we could. The hospital bed and air cushion were worth it. NO BED SORES!

3. gooloolooo November 1, 2010 at 11:54 am #

I saw your twit, attracted by the word “Goo”. Cos I am goo also. Anyway, you did very well.

4. Tan Yee Hou November 1, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Grats Kim!

I do help out once in awhile, but I’m not as big as you to do something like this yet.

p/s: Tulisan kanak kanak :p

5. ShaolinTiger November 1, 2010 at 3:08 pm #

Great stuff! Good to see them in more comfortable beds.

6. Jonathan Teoh November 1, 2010 at 6:03 pm #

Well done Kim! I’m really glad that you found the strength within you to fulfill the pledge and hope that this heart warming experience stays with you for a very long time!!

7. David Wong November 2, 2010 at 2:42 am #

Awesome. Thanks for your efforts for this campaign. Am sure it made a difference in Mr Goo’s life.

8. suanie November 2, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

Congratulations Kim!!! Hugs

9. Kimberlycun November 3, 2010 at 5:11 pm #

ian: thanks for your support! appreciate it greatly :)

glow-w: no lah, im no philanthropist, far from it! i just blogged about it, which i’m already doing anyway. glad your granny was in comfort before passing on. the beds do make a lot of difference.

goolooloo: hi goo thanks for dropping by!

yeehou: i didnt contribute anything aside from blog posts, which i’m already doing anyway :D i admire ppl who get down and dirty for charity.

st: yeah me too

jonathan: thanks for the opportunity :)

david: thanks for the support!

suanie: hugs back!

1. TLC Promise Me Recognition Ceremony. » NARCISSISM IS NECESSARY - November 16, 2010

[…] donations and well-wishes, my perceptions gradually changed. I am still surprised by the fact that 3 hospitals beds have been bought and delivered to Goo Tyng Tong and his […]

2. My 2010 in one post. » NARCISSISM IS NECESSARY - January 1, 2011

[…] the end of the campaign, thanks to the support of friends and readers of this blog, we’ve managed to raise a total of […]