I’m going to have my period soon, and my crazy cravings have already kicked in. Today in particular, I wanted so much to eat chawan mushi. But I was too lazy to change my pjs so I decided to make my own. It’s my first time, so I ventured without expectations.
There was nothing in the fridge – no chicken, no crabsticks, no mushroom. I decided to improvise.
Errr, forgot to take pictures of the eggs. I used two eggs.
Firstly, I soaked the scallops and oysters for about 1/2 hour. Then I use the soaking water to make one cup of chicken stock with 1/2 a cube of stock. Next, crack two eggs into a bowl and beat it lightly (no bubbles). While beating the eggs, slowly add in the chicken stock, a tablespoon of soy sauce, a tablespoon of rice wine (or sake) and mix all together.
1. Egg mixture.
2. Scallops, oysters and moss at the bottom of the cups.
3. Egg mixture in the cups.
4. Cover with aluminium foil and steam.
Arrange the the scallops, oysters and moss at the bottom of two cups. Then pour in the egg mixture. Cover cups with aluminium foil. Steam for 13 minutes.
1. 13 minutes later….looking good!
2. First scoop, little bit of moss visible. Mixture appears to have solidify nicely. Taste better than Sushi King!
3. More moss. Where are the good bits???
4. B00ya! The oyster.
5. Satisfied diner.
Verdict: I am the queen of the chawan mushi.